About Me

My photo
I am 31, established in my career, and love just being me! I am also a dog mom to HUGE Weimaraner, Bella. I want to share and update all my friends and family as I win my fight against breast cancer. I was diagnosed Friday, March 25th 2011. I got the phone call from Dr. Jen (who is also a long time friend) at 1:33pm. And that's when my journey began...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What not to say when someone tells you they have cancer....

Because I am feeling sassy tonight:-) I decided to blog about what not to say when someone tells you they have cancer.  I do feel that all people mean well and that sometimes what we say is not thought through. Also, when someone tells you they have cancer it is shocking so our best words are not always available.  So yes, as Grace being the theme throughout my journey I have given many people grace when it comes to the questions and statements I have heard in the last month.  So for future reference when someone tells you they have cancer they may appreciate if you could with hold the following:

.....Oh my gosh, I googled it.  Yeah, that one is bad . Long pause, simply because I am shocked you JUST said that!

.....What are you going to do now?  If you really knew me you wouldn't be asking me "what."  You would be asking me "when" is the celebration it's over party????

.....And the WORST thing you can say to someone who has just told you they have cancer:  "Are you ok with losing your hair?"  Because that's on the forefront of my mind!  AND, like who would be??? it's not a choice.  Rather mandatory for me to live and for a long time!  It's not the chemo that's the bad guy here it's the cancer...that's from Mandi's blog, she's 31 and winning her fight too.

.....Also, call it cancer, the "C" word reminds me of pretending to curse around my parents when I was a kid. There is no shame in having cancer it is how you fight it and who you fight it for.

4 comments:

  1. So asking if I could help you shop for new boobs was ok?!?! :P

    Love you! I am totally impressed by your strength!

    Denise wanted me to tell you, after reading this, she went home and scheduled the mammogram that she has been putting off. You are already changing the world, Mar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had several people tell me that "maybe I would keep my hair" because they knew so and so who had chemo and didn't lose their hair. Not so much with the breast cancer chemo. That one is right up there with things not to say.

    Glad you are feeling sassy tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am glad I know you well. As soon as you told me I bought a very nice bottle of wine for us to celebrate with once you beat the heck out of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about this one....I know EXACTLY how you feel, my dog has cancer......
    Really?! Wow, REALLY!? I'm pretty sure you have no clue. true story :p

    ReplyDelete